Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Life


Life.

That is your specialty, Lord.
Creating, knitting.
Weaving together all life.
You form every cell, every organ, and every personality.

You stand as the epicenter of our world,
Conducting.
Holding every life in your mighty hand.

You orchestrate every earthly existence,
From Adam’s first breath,
To our final trumpet call.

Praise you, Lord, for you give life!


Once, you created life within my body. 
Tiny beginnings, masterminded in heaven.

I carried this new life.
I carried Him,
Or Her.

I carried your gift of life

I felt your fresh presence every waking moment,
I walked in constant prayer.
I tasted a greater love:
Selfless, giving.
That kind of love that comes from you. 

This new life welded our marriage:
Tighter, stronger.
New bonds of sacrifice taught us agape.
You blessed our vows with a deeper consecration,
With a tiny heart forming, ready to beat. 

We slid into the clothing of parenthood,
Trying on our soon-to-be roles.
Preparation for Mama and Pop.

We shared the joyful news with others,
Praising you as the Giver of all blessings.

We began to pray as one,
Husband, wife.
For health and growth,
For your guidance in this next chapter.

And Lord, you listened.
As you always do.
You listened with bigger plans,
Plans to grow our marriage,
To weave a third strand into our vows
You orchestrated our next chapter.



On August 19th, 2013, we received the news.
A phone call ripped open the tsunami.
The doctor’s slow, remorseful voice rung in my ear.
I curled in my couch, in our empty house,
But not alone.

Nearing the day’s end, we reunited,
Mama and Pop.

And you held us,
You wrapped our hugging arms in your love,
You were there when words were too hard.

You were there.
Our Great Comforter,
Whispering ‘Trust Me’.

Though this tiny, new heart
Was no longer beating,
You gave this child your gift of life.
Ultimate life.
Eternal.

Praise you, Lord, for you take away!


Your every decision is wise, perfect,
And without error.
Our every suffering is not in vain. 

All life, whether long or brief,
Points to you.

Our summer ended by giving you the first-fruits of our lament,
Praising you for the welding,
For the bringing-to-life of our marital covenant.

The seasons changed,
And you stayed with us,
Guiding us, growing us,
Answering our prayers.


And now, a year has passed,
A tiny speck in your eternal timeline,
And you continue to give us life!
Your Spirit,
Deep within.

Today, I come to you, Lord
With open arms and an empty womb.

I may never know motherhood on this side of eternity.
But I do know
That you are holding a special treasure for me
In your dwelling place.

And you still have plans for me,
A hope and a future.

So, I set my eyes heavenward,
An eternal perspective,
With peace placed in my heart,
Peace that surpasses all worldly understanding.

Because you are my God.
You are my King, my Joy, my Strength.

You are my creator.

Praise you, Lord, for you carry me into life!

1 comment:

  1. Kacie, yes you surrender to the stories of your life knowing you are loved by those here and beyond. Stay in hope and in love. Thanks for being open to share with us who care.

    ReplyDelete